Scottish War Blinded

The Linburn Centre
Louis Braille Avenue
Wilkieston
EH27 8EJ

Tel: 0131 333 1369
Fax: 0131 333 4841
Web: www.royalblind.org/warblinded/

Scottish War Blinded was founded in 1915 to help Scottish soldiers and sailors blinded in the 1914-1918 war. So successful was a public appeal for funding, Newington House in Edinburgh was purchased and became the first Scottish residence and training establishment for war blinded service veterans. A variety of trades were taught and many of the men set up businesses or moved on in to employment. A permanent workshop continued for those who wished to remain at Newington House.

Linburn House

With recurrence of hostilities in 1939 a new generation of war blinded personnel required care. Linburn House, a small estate some 10 miles from Edinburgh was purchased, and it was in July 1944 that the admission of residents began. The estate was developed and contained a housing complex, workshops and recreational facilities set in landscaped grounds. Linburn was designed for ease of movement by the war blinded residents and the others who travel to the workshops.

A change to its constitution now also allows welfare and financial support to be given to veterans who have a visual impairment and are registered blind or partially sighted, subsequent to, and unrelated to their service.

Last updated on 21/07/2012