Mesterolone tablets are prescribed for men.
They work by supplementing your body's natural male sex hormones.
Side-effects of treatment are similar to the masculinisation effect of natural male hormones.
|Type of medicine||An androgen (a male sex hormone)|
|Used for||Androgen deficiency, and infertility due to low natural hormone levels|
Mesterolone belongs to the group of medicines known as androgens, which are male sex hormones. It is used to treat disorders in men where the body does not make enough natural androgen. It works by supplementing the amount of male hormone your body produces naturally.
Before taking mesterolone
Some medicines are not suitable for people with certain conditions, and sometimes a medicine may only be used if extra care is taken. For these reasons, before you start taking mesterolone it is important that your doctor knows:
- If you have liver or kidney problems.
- If you have heart problems or high blood pressure.
- If you have epilepsy or migraine.
- If you have diabetes.
- If you have cancer.
- If you are taking or using any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine.
How to take mesterolone
- Before you start this treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside your pack. The leaflet will give you more information about mesterolone tablets.
- Take the tablets exactly as your doctor has told you to. To begin with, it is usual to be prescribed 25 mg (one tablet), to be taken three or four times a day. If you need to continue taking the tablets for more than a few months, your doctor may reduce the number of tablets you need to take each day. Your doctor will tell you what dose is right for you and this will also be printed on the label of the pack to remind you.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a drink of water. You can take mesterolone before or after meals.
- Try to take your doses at the same times each day, as this will help you to remember to take them.
- If you forget to take a dose, you should take it when you remember. However, if when you remember, it is nearly time for your next dose then leave out the forgotten dose. Do not take two doses at the same time to make up for a missed dose.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Try to keep your regular appointments with your doctor so your progress can be monitored. While you are on mesterolone your doctor will want you to have regular blood tests and examinations of your prostate and breasts. This is because the treatment may increase the rate of growth of some types of cancer and your doctor will want to rule these out. Your doctor will explain this to you before you start taking mesterolone, but if you have any concerns during your treatment, make an appointment to speak with your doctor again.
- It is unlikely that mesterolone tablets will interact with any medicines you may buy, but it is always wise to check this with a pharmacist first.
- The tablets are for you. Never give them to other people, even if their condition appears to be the same as yours. The tablets are not suitable for increasing muscle strength and bodybuilding in healthy men and should not be taken for this reason.
Can mesterolone cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Possible mesterolone side-effects||What can I do if I experience this?|
|Headache and other aches and pains||Ask your pharmacist to recommend a suitable painkiller|
|Feeling sick, abdominal pain||Stick to simple foods - avoid rich or spicy meals. If the pain does not ease, speak with your doctor straightaway|
|Acne, swollen hands or feet, increased blood pressure, increased body hair, breast or prostate problems, increased weight, baldness, mood changes||If any of these become troublesome, let your doctor know|
Important: if you experience frequent erections or erections that last for a long time, you must let your doctor know about this. Your treatment will need to be reviewed in order to prevent any injury.
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, speak with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store mesterolone
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
Important information about all medicines
Never take more than the prescribed dose. If you suspect that you or someone else might have taken an overdose of this medicine go to the accident and emergency department of your local hospital at once. Take the container with you, even if it is empty.
If you are having an operation or dental treatment tell the person carrying out the treatment which medicines you are taking.
Do not keep out-of-date or unwanted medicines. Take them to your local pharmacy which will dispose of them for you.
If you have any questions about this medicine ask your pharmacist.
Further reading & references
- Manufacturer's PIL, Pro-Viron®; Bayer plc, The electronic Medicines Compendium. Dated March 2012.
- British National Formulary; 65th Edition (Mar 2013) British Medical Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, London
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. EMIS has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.
Dr Adrian Bonsall