About tripotassium dicitratobismuthate
|Type of medicine||Chelates and complexes|
|Used for||To treat conditions caused by excess acid in the stomach|
Tripotassium dicitratobismuthate is used to treat certain conditions caused by too much acid being produced in the stomach, such as gastric (stomach) ulcers and duodenal (intestinal) ulcers. Acid is produced naturally in the stomach to help digest food. Excessive amounts of acid can irritate the stomach lining, causing inflammation, ulcers and other conditions. Tripotassium dicitratobismuthate works by protecting the lining of the stomach, relieving pain and allowing the area to repair itself.
Before taking tripotassium dicitratobismuthate
Before taking tripotassium dicitratobismuthate make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding.
- If you have kidney problems.
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal or complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or any other medicine.
How to take tripotassium dicitratobismuthate
- Before beginning treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet.
- Take your medication exactly as directed by your doctor.
- Take each dose of tripotassium dicitratobismuthate with half a glass of water.
- If you have been instructed to take tripotassium dicitratobismuthate twice a day: Take the first dose 30 minutes before breakfast and the second dose 30 minutes before your evening meal.
- If you have been instructed to take tripotassium dicitratobismuthate four times a day: Take the first dose 30 minutes before your breakfast, the second dose 30 minutes before lunch, the third dose 30 minutes before your evening meal and the fourth two hours after your evening meal.
- If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember unless it is nearly time for your next dose, in which case leave out the missed dose. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Don't drink milk on its own while you are being treated with this medicine. You may have small quantities in tea or coffee or on cereal if required.
- Don't eat fruit or drink fruit juice at the same time of day as this medicine. Leave a 30 minute gap before or after taking a dose of tripotassium dicitratobismuthate.
- Don't take antacid indigestion remedies at the same time of day as this medicine. Take any indigestion remedies at least 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after a dose of tripotassium dicitratobismuthate.
- Try to avoid foods that may upset your stomach such as alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, drinks containing caffeine, tomatoes or spicy food.
- If you smoke, consider stopping or reducing the amount that you smoke. Smoking increases the amount of acid produced by the stomach and will aggravate your condition.
- Tripotassium dicitratobismuthate may darken your tongue or blacken your stools. This is completely harmless and will stop when your treatment is finished.
- If you are having an operation or any dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment which medicines you are taking.
- If you buy any medicines, check with a pharmacist that they are safe to take with your other medicines.
Can tripotassium dicitratobismuthate cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Uncommon side-effects - these affect less than 1 in 100 people who take this medicine||What can I do if I experience this|
|Feeling or being sick||Eat little and often. Stick to simple or bland foods. If you are sick drink plenty of liquid|
|Diarrhoea or constipation||Drink plenty of water|
|Rash and itching||Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if this becomes troublesome|
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, speak with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store tripotassium dicitratobismuthate
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
Important information about all medicines
Further reading & references
- British National Formulary; 62nd Edition (Sep 2011) British Medical Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, London
- Manufacturer's PIL, De-Noltab Tablets®; Manufacturer's PIL, De-Noltab Tablets®, Astellas Pharma Ltd, electronic Medicines Compendium. Dated December 2010.
|Original Author: Helen Allen||Current Version: Pippa Crossley|
|Last Checked: 07/06/2011||Document ID: 3813 Version: 22||© EMIS|
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. EMIS has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.