About methenamine hippurate
|Type of medicine
||Treatment and prevention of urinary infections
Methenamine hippurate is used to treat and prevent long-term or recurring urinary-tract infections, such as infections of the kidney and bladder. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
Before taking methenamine hippurate
Before taking methenamine hippurate make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding.
- If you have kidney or liver problems.
- If you suffer from gout.
- If you have been told by your doctor that you have metabolic acidosis (a chemical imbalance in your blood).
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal or complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or to any other medicine.
How to take methenamine hippurate
- Before beginning your treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet.
- Take methenamine hippurate exactly as directed by your doctor.
- The usual dose in adults is one tablet twice a day (although if you have a catheter you may be asked to take one tablet three times each day). Take your dose with a drink of water, milk or fruit juice.
- If you find it difficult to swallow the tablets whole, you can crush the tablets before swallowing.
- Take your doses regularly. This means every 12 hours if you have been told to take two doses each day and every 8 hours if you are taking three doses each day.
- Remember to complete the full course of tablets you have been given.
- If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember unless it is nearly time for your next dose, in which case leave out the missed dose. Do not take two doses together to make up for a missed dose.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Keep your regular appointment with your doctor so your progress can be monitored.
- If you buy any medicines, check with a pharmacist that they are safe to take with methenamine hippurate.
- If you are having any treatment like an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment that you are taking methenamine hippurate.
Can methenamine hippurate cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, all medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
||What can I do if I experience this
|Feeling sick or stomach upset
||Stick to simple foods
|Skin rash, itching, and bladder irritation (a burning sensation or pain on passing urine)
||If troublesome, speak with your doctor
How to store methenamine hippurate
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
Important information about all medicines
- Never take more than the prescribed dose. If you suspect that you or someone else has taken an overdose of this medicine go to the accident and emergency department of your local hospital at once. Take the container with you, even if it is empty.
- This medicine is for you. Never give it to other people even if their condition appears to be the same as yours.
- Never keep out-of-date or unwanted medicines. Take them to your local pharmacy which will dispose of them for you.
- If you have any questions about this medicine ask your pharmacist.