About hyoscine butylbromide
|Type of medicine||Antispasmodic|
|Used for||Relief of abdominal pain caused by spasms in the muscles of the stomach or bladder regions, including irritable bowel syndrome
Sometimes used to reduce secretions in the lung
|Available as||Tablets and injection|
Hyoscine butylbromide is an antispasmodic medicine which is used to relieve cramps in the stomach, intestines or bladder. It is useful to help ease the spasm-type pain that may be associated with irritable bowel syndrome or diverticular disease. It works by relaxing the muscle in the walls of these areas of your body.
Before taking hyoscine butylbromide
Before taking hyoscine butylbromide make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are under 12 or over 65 years of age.
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding.
- If you have digestive system problems such as reflux disease, diarrhoea, or ulcerative colitis.
- If you have glaucoma (raised pressure in your eye).
- If you have high blood pressure or have had a heart attack.
- If you have prostate problems.
- If you have myasthenia gravis (a condition causing muscle weakness).
- If you have been told you have a fast heart rate.
- If you have Down's syndrome.
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or to any other medicine.
How to take hyoscine butylbromide
- Before starting this treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack. The leaflet will give you more information about the specific brand of medicine you have been given, and any possible side-effects from taking it.
- The usual dose of hyoscine butylbromide for an adult is one or two tablets taken three or four times a day. It is usual to start by taking one tablet three times a day, and then to increase this dose to two tablets up to four times a day if needed. If hyoscine butylbromide has been prescribed by a doctor for you, your doctor will tell you how many tablets you should take and how often to take them. This dose information will also be on the label.
- You can take the tablets before, during or after meals.
- If you forget to take a dose, do not worry, just take the next dose when it is due. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Hyoscine butylbromide can be purchased from pharmacies and retail outlets by people who have been told by their doctor that they have irritable bowel syndrome. Do not buy hyoscine butylbromide unless you have previously been diagnosed by a doctor. If you develop any new symptoms, or if your symptoms worsen, or if your symptoms have not improved within two weeks of taking hyoscine butylbromide, you should see your doctor for further advice (even if you have been previously diagnosed by your doctor).
- If you buy any medicines, check with a pharmacist that they are safe to take with hyoscine butylbromide.
Can hyoscine butylbromide cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Possible hyoscine butylbromide side-effects - these affect less than 1 in 100 people who take this medicine||What can I do if I experience this?|
|Constipation||Eat a well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water|
|Problems with your eyesight such as sensitivity to light or blurred vision||If this happens, do not drive or use tools or machines|
|Dry mouth||Try chewing sugar-free gum or sucking sugar-free sweets|
|Dry skin||Using a moisturising cream regularly may help|
|Problems passing urine, flushing||If either of these becomes troublesome, ask your doctor or pharmacist for further advice|
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, discuss them with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store hyoscine butylbromide
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
Important information about all medicines
Further reading & references
- British National Formulary; 62nd Edition (Sep 2011) British Medical Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, London
- Manufacturer's PIL, Buscopan® IBS Relief,; Manufacturer's PIL, Buscopan® IBS Relief, Boehringer Ingelheim Limited Consumer Healthcare, electronic Medicines Compendium. Dated March 2009.
- Manufacturer's PIL, Buscopan® Tablets,; Manufacturer's PIL, Buscopan® Tablets, Boehringer Ingelheim Limited, electronic Medicines Compendium. Dated October 2009.
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. EMIS has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.
Dr Hannah Gronow