You're not signed in

Sign in or register to join the Patient.co.uk Forums for advice and support.

in this discussion +2 following Follow this discussion

would like some help with what questions to ask my doctor!

i feel like i haven't been told enough about having an overactive thyroid by my doctors. They seem to keep the discussion simple and keep rephrasing it.

I don't know how bad my thyroid is and so don't want to start taking medication I’ve been given (carbimzole) till I know what is going on!

I know I need to ask them to tell me what my tsh or t4 is that is about it. Would really appreciate some useful questions to ask or just info in general ...

F Report Share
Support this with a vote _ 0

1 Replies

• dizzyblonde1252

Hi know the feeling - when I had an overactive thyroid 11 years ago nobody could give me much info either

Here is my experience,

One Doctor for about a year thought it was early menopause as I had sweats, shakes, crying at the drop of a hat, just to mention three things - so when I was diagnosed I was dangerously high - my T4 was around 83 but my TSH was 0.01 - not working at all.

My doctor together with my endrocrinologist put me on a block and replace regime - 5mg carbimazole to totally block my thyroid from working and then 125mg thyroxine to replace my body's natural thyroxine to try to kick my thyroid into working normally, I then had to have weekly blood tests to check my levels.

I was on this regime for 4 years but it did not work in my case and consequently I had to have a total thyroidectomy 7 years ago which was the best thing I did

BEWARE - the reason for me finally having to have my thyroid out was that I had a reaction to carbimazol - very bad stomach cramps. I was changed onto the only other meds. that were available then to block but had the same reaction so the only course of action was removal.

However my youngest daughter was also diagnosed with an overactive thyroid as well at 22yrs, was put on the same treatment as me but in her case worked very well for her and she has had normal readings for the last 8 years. No medication at all.

I now have to have 6 monthly blood tests to make sure I am taking the correct amount of thyroxine but thats no hardship.

Hopefully the above has been of some help and not frightened you at all. It really is not that bad having a thyroid problem and not at all worrying -

One point though, watch your weight !!! I was so hungry when I was overactive eating a horse but still loosing weight - GREAT !! diet cracked - not!!. When my thyroid was removed they did not take my appetite and I was still eating to much food but not having an overworked thyroid burning it off for me so consequently I put on weight which has, even 7 years later been difficult to take off and keep off (only downside)

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to dizzyblonde1252...

k

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

k

Share this

Discussion Forums' Terms & Conditions