in this discussion +15 following Follow this discussion

I was very happy to find that common table salt in a war...

I was very happy to find that common table salt in a warm bath cured my Scabies. After soaking for 15 minutes, get out of the bath and drip dry. Do not use a towel, but if you must, just pat dry with kitchen towels as they are more hygenic.If needed, repeat after 4 days.

I feel this treatment should be made public, as it is free of harmful poisons associated with common cures prescribed by the physician.

The salt will get into the mite holes to kill the eggs, and also kill the mites on the surface almost instantly.

This is something all families have readily available in the kitchen, and is very simple to use.

Make sure all bedding is washed in at least 50 degrees, and clothing is changed and washed as hot as possible.

[i:95f80446b8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:95f80446b8]

F Report Share
Support this with a vote _ 3

28 Replies

Next

Unless it is a scientific fact that salt water kills scabies mites, i would be very weary of trying this. salt water CAN clean scratches, but in the long run it will dry out skin too much. i know my skin is very dry and sensitive after my malathion treatment which i have had to repeat as it didnt work the first time. yes it would be great if this works!

[i:2e6ff423d6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2e6ff423d6]

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to Guest

I initially thought I had flea bites, and so took a warm bath in salt water and covered myself and fresh bedding in olbas oil and tiger balm. However on further investigation and research, it is almost certain that I had scabies - after the above treatment the relief was immediate and dramatic. All blotches, redness and itching disappeared totally in 24 hours, so something clearly worked

Thanks for the clues on salt. Just think if you lived by a salt water beach: you'd be healthy all the time. Here is something that enters the exoskeleton of the scabies and dries them out: It's human grade diatomaceous earth and is used in food and water to kill intestinal parasites. All it is is a bunch of crushed up sea shells found at the bottom of the ocean. It's dynamite!

\&quot;This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silica, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron.

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator.\&quot;

Hi, I've had scabies before and I don't agree with the salt water theory. I live next to the sea and am a regular swimmer / beach goer. I caught scabies around May this year and had to treat them with cream. They came back despite following all the instructions. I was swimming 2 - 3 times a week in the sea around this time (for about an hour each time). I finally got rid of them with Derbac M liquid.

If you do have scabies use the correct medication!

After trying everything to include all the presciption meds I went to table salt. I soaked and did a salt scrub after the bath on the existing bites. The itching stopped immediately and the holes began healing up quickly. I actually did it every day for a week. It does not ruin your skin like so many other things like tea tree oil. I asked a dermotologist if table salt would hurt my skin and he said no, in fact table salt has nutrients in it since we ingest it daily in just about every food we eat. He also said scabies survive off the fluids under our skin therefore salt dries out the scabies causing them to die immediately.

I also put table salt in my body lotion for a few days and inside my shoes.

I am now totally healed up after months of misery.

• jAs1979

I have tried everything 5% Permethrin, 45% permethrin, ivermectin,Off, 100% deet, salt water baths for a month, bleach in my bath, Alcohol, Peroxide, ACV in my bath with lots of salt after scratching myself all over with a coarse green scrubby, Neem, tea tree, oregano oil for two months. All while I was ironing my clothe on very hot right after I took them off! Nothing worked. I live near the beach and i took a green scrubby and scratched all over while I was in the ocean and stayed in the water for 2 hours everyday for a week and when you get out don't shower til the morning but use anti-bacterial ointment on any open wounds because the ocean holds millions of bacteria! the first night I finally had itchless night! a week later I don't itch at all I'm going to continue this for another couple of weeks until I know they are not in my house! But I literally iron everything I can! My bed, sheets, covers, couch! I use to boil water before I washed them but this is the same concept! Good luck to all who have these creatures I am now sleeping at night after 2 years of scratching!

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to jAs1979

• jAs1979

The thing with scabies is everyones skin is different! some peoples skin dries out quick, some people skin is hard to dry out! Some peoples skin can absorb different chemicals faster, but I don't think my skin dries out fast or absorbs that well, but like i said I used a scrubby everyday in the ocean and zang it's gone so far!

Diatomaceous earth is good for things on the outside of your body but doesn't kill eggs or kill the bugs inside your skin unless you drink or eat it but then it takes forever! and yes I tried this! Also tried lindane lotions and got no results!

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to jAs1979

• I killed em

Salt does work!!!! I rubbed salt all over me, except for my upper back which I could not reach. I left it on for 10 minutes, I have 1 itch on my arm, the rest is on my upper back... now I'm getting my boyfriend to rub it all over my upper back and I will do it full body again, I might go a head and do it for 15 minutes just to be sure. My guess is you have tried all the oil and perscriptions already, lord knows I have.. But the salt really really works, just try it.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to I killed em

• agreval

I know the topic is about the effectiveness about the salt against scabies... but i couldn't hold my self to post this... i have tried a lot of ways and methods... (this with salt im gonna try it.... i hope it work) , but the only one that seems to work is HOT water... in my case... try in one spot that you have... use the hot water and slowly raise the hot water up, up to you can hold... this kills the mites.

I know it may sound crazy... but just after you do it... the itches goes away. Then if there is some remain... do it next day... you'll see is gone.

Now.. everybody is different... but you dont lose nothing to try it... and for me... i would do anything to get fhe itche away.

Im gonna try the salt water and i let you know how it goes with me. Thanks to everybody for the feedbacks to the original post.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to agreval

• justiris

I've tried Nix Shampoo, Nix Cream for scabies, tea, Nem, Eucolypsis oils, Ecosmart Home control Herbal spray for bed bugs, bed bug spray, bed bug dust, earth (seashell flour),alcohol sprays, flea sprays, turpintine & kerosene. Everything is in plastic including the couch. A tenant 2 doors down had her apt sprayed for bedbugs & I helped her put a bedbug cover on her mattress six hours after the Pesticide company with dust & spray followed by the herbal and earth. 2 separate co sprayings & she still has bites and had placed things out into the hallway. Is it possible for scabies to dig a hole & bedbugs take lodging...2 cell mates together? I think so. Day ?13, rubbed Colgate Total which may contain wintergreen or menth (cold)...the left arm showed white deposits collecting on the sores, the rite arm rec'd Cinnamen Blast Close-Up toothpaste (heat) and wrapped the arms up in toiletpaper and went shopping. The mint/wintergreen was VERY soothing & the skin tone looked good. The Cinnamen blast skin was more shiny & irritable but not necessarily ineffective. The white deposits showed up on the sores and the scratches turned white as the deposits capped. Day 14, took the salt bath with baking powder and clorine and upped the clorine for two hours. The mites showed up on the skin about half an hour later. Which means that they can live under those trapped doors for a long period. The olive oil treatment in Day 13 produced a lot of mites by rubbing in circles. They don't like oven spray & pop up but the spray dabbed on a hanky gave me burns and hives...so don't try it. Raid for Ants (red bottle) was quite effective for sleeping undisturbed and the oil dried onto my pj's which ripped off like a wax. So, wax may be the next thing and a rub down with plaster as it contains a lye and let it dry to cut off oxygen and let it sit for 3 - 4 hrs. Hopefully by then I will get the okay for the pesticide company. Tommorrow while my husband is doing the God thing, the couch goes.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to justiris

• dagon53454

500g of sea salt

hot bath-add some boiling water from your kettle

20 minutes

vacuum your room

bin what you can't wash a 60 deg.

Monsters are gone.

Doctors(all 3) failed to help me for a year. Doctors no good in case of the critters.

End of story.

No reply.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to dagon53454

• dawn23478

Found some great OTC and home remedies...

I came across this discussion while searching for answers to my outbreak. I searched for 2 days because my symptoms weren't as severe as those who had scabies but I thought I had some type of mites in my skin. Turns out I had hives, a minor 24hr outbreak due to my body's allergic reaction to the combination of cold medicine, 2mosquito bites and an herbal tea blend that included eucalyptus oil (I can't do plant based products). I'm healed but had you guys in my prayers and on my mind, couldn't leave you hanging...

Info on this site was very helpful but to simplify, I'd like to combine the most helpful info into one post:

I am not a patient or health professional...just someone who,wants to help

First do all the research you can online and see a doctor. If they don't seem to understand get a 2nd opinion. You have no time to be misinformed

Avoid physical contact with people or pets, scabies is contagious. A guy posted that he got it from a communal jumpsuit while skydiving

Warm baths in 500g (2cups) of table salt. Dermatologists say chlorine bleach is poisonous and harmful to the skin. Derms say it will flush out the eggs and body parts. Do not apply the bleach directly to,your skin. One guy said he now has floaters in his vision from taking bleach baths. Epsom salt or baking soda works same way

Salt may dry your skin. I found a new blend of Shea butter, olive oil, vitamin E and essential lavender oil (purifying) on the shelf at my local beauty supply store. Peppermint oil has the same property and can be a substitute for lavender

Calamine lotion is great for anti-itch..bug bites, poison, ivy, etc. I've the counter at pharmacy/drug store. It comes in pink or white and dries fast. Great for measles and chicken pox too

Wash clothes in at least 60% water. Wear plastic gloves to load the washer, discard them and out on a clean pair to take them out and to unload the dryer. A box of 50 latex gloves is around 4USD. One guy wore plastic gloves to,drive his car

They hate peppermint oil...use aromatherapy in a diffuser. Soak cotton balls with the oil and put in in the bag with your washed clothing. Place in your car and around your bed

Use peppermint soap...Shea butter soap w/peppermint oil, crushed bits of almond and baking soda. The almonds are smaller than mustard seeds

Olive oil is great for healing scars and burns. Kiss my face makes pure olive oil soap and lotions

Eat at least 2 cloves of garlic per day. Dice them and sauté with diced tomatoes & basil in olive oil. Place on toast and enjoy...this is bruschetta.garlic & the lycopene in tomatoes build immunity

Take lots of vitamin C and B

Avoid sweets, they weaken immunity

Avoid iron, bacteria feeds on it and your body hides it when it's attacked. Don't overwork it's ability to store the iron

I pray for your strength and patience...you can get through this!

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to dawn23478

• aliaszt »Guest

Hey guys, I am from Australia, am 30 years old, and have had random bouts of scabies for years now - each time I thought I killed them with Pymethrin but turns out not.  The most recent attack saw my feet and hands covered and a bit sore, fairly itchy especially at night/upon waking in the morning.  I took the below steps after a range of research and asking for a bit of guidance:  So far the combination has been highly effective and I can truly recommend it to anyone - I have decided you really need to attack these buggers internally and externally:

1. alternating baths every two days consisting of either (don't mix) - Neem Oil

or - Table salt baths - two cups in the bath and I also rub a lot of salt on the area like an exfoliant, leave for five or so mins and rinse and repeat, I have abouta twenty minute bath each time.  If using Neem oil, 10ml is advised.

2. After bath wash hands with disinfectant handwash, then shower it all off.  If washing hair use neem oil shampoo and conditioner (commonly used for head lice - is a natural insecticide)

3. After shower using cotton pads, wet with TEA TREE OIL, and wipe body, leave to dry

4. INTERNAL - Herbal Triplex is a very effective Parasite Detox, though you can use any parasite detox really.  This will ideally kill the parasites via the blood stream.

5. If you like to use moisturiser use PAW PAW ointment it has a natural antibacterial property and is amazing on sores/skin without feeding the bugs with moisture. 

n.b I found the table salt baths the most effective - thanks so much for the tip!

After three weeks of this routine I have no itching and can literally see the changes - feeling relieved!

I agree with most posters that it is also very important to maintain a healthy diet/immune system and am working on improving my diet every day.  I take a range of immune boosters such as Reishi mushroom, Camu Camu powder and echincea with garlic.

I hope this helps everyone!  And try to rememer, YOU are in control of your body not the bugs, so in some way or another you are allowing this infestation and stating "I do not use my body for sickness" is a very strong intention and is empowering smile

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to aliaszt

• always worried »Guest

my 9 year old son was diagnosed with scabies 2 days ago. we did the permethrin treatment and now he has more bumps on his body. now its on his face when it wasnt 2 days ago at the doctors office.we do our 2nd treatment of permethrin next tuesaday.  im so worried about him and myself. i havent shown any signs of scabies yet and i hope i dont but i do feel like something is crawling on my face and ears. i dont know if its a mind thing. i wanna try and give a salt bath tonight. but i got some epsom salt. i dont have much table salt. think that could work as good? should i wait to give him the salt bath after our 2nd treament of permethrin? 

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to always worried

• tasha65752 »always worried

What happened?  I'm sure many of you really do have scabies. I unfortunately was misdiagnosed with scabies and wanted to give yall a heads up scabies should not be that hard to kill. If you feel crawling it is not scabies. Some other type of mite is possible. Anyways not to freak you out.  Wondering if you got rid of them

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to tasha65752

• always worried »tasha65752

After his first salt bath it seemed to have dried out the itchy bumps he had all over his body. He didnt itch much. I'd say the salt bath helped a lot. And also i dont think the doctor was 100% sure it was scabies. My son took salt baths every other day.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to always worried

• fellowsufferer »Guest

Thank you all for the advice about the salt water bath.  I've had these darned things for about three weeks.  I think one of the most important tips is to SCRUB yourself thoroughly.  Human's have sebacious glands that produce oil, so just rubbing yourself with soap may not be enough to break through that barrier.  Also, scrubbing should get down to the horrible eggs and dry them out.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

​I hope this works.  I'll keep yall updated.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to fellowsufferer

• posterchild »fellowsufferer

My spelling is bad but please excuse it. Ok Topic. cabies.. Now. My middle son who has a bad lifestyle. Stopped by .. he traveld far. Had marks on legs. Said it was mosquito bites. I didn't belive him but said ok come in. He dose drugs & alcohol & dosent think good sometimes as he sets off w just anyone. So first day 5pm. He showerd. Shuffeld his clothes off his back as I placed in washer. He spent one night here. One afternoon. Peroid. He had to leave. So I begin to feel an old (12) yr memorie bite me. Omgosh .. no he didnt. Well day passed .. oh no. Bites.. I am instantly concerned. I scrach and stop on spot as I feel something seem to burrow into my skin. Wow.. if he didnt contract this at age seven at a possiable day care. He is 20 now. So.. I have a second 7 yr old. His little brother.. so I get him .. I ask are you itching. Cuz my older threw his self onto my bed for three to five mins. So my youngest says yes mom.. omy dear lord in heaven. So . We showerd .. changed bedding .. I just knew it. So smotherd selves in cold cream to start *Jergans.. then peaceful night. Woke w mindfull concerns. & I should be. So we left went to dolmar general. 2$ large alcohol 3 of them.. 1large lemon ammonia. . A bottle of spider spray.. 2 lg empty spray bottles . A big box of trash bags. Because that cant go on. I remember this going on for yrs as a kid. So any clothes laying around  get trash bags and begin to place clothes. ..clean or not in them as ur done spray a squrit or two of spider spray and tie completely closed. St aside repeat. Till you feel that issue is solved. Walk off and regroup your mind. Ok. Or yr gonna go nutts. Fill ur sprayer w a whole bottle of alcohol. Whepon #2.. spray ur furniture where visitor was or sat or clothes layed .. now im not a dr. But logic is logic.. google says these scabies are spider related. Well bingo. Go to room where they stayed. Place bedding in trash bag after sprinking w DE food grade and while ur at store. Keep other bags from earlier seperated. . So do this w all stuff. And as u finish and u feel creepy itch crawling on u.. blast it w alcohol. Spray ur clothes. Keep working use logic. Feel an ich spray it. Make sure children are just lightly misted.. put em on new bedding. Tie up pillows and make sure the kids have showerd w clothes from dryer. This gives u time. U itch again spray spot its only rubbing alcohol. Im not saying fill ur tub and lay in it. I said spray spots. When they itch. Unless ur in late stages and have bad wounds. I dont care if I have five itchng spots at once.. I spray each one. As I think this through. Cuz this bites bad.. no pun there. This suxs. Think u feel it befor it burrows . Spray ur finger and rub spot. So ur bagging and spot treating ur self. (Adult supervision .. not saying children ) ok. Clear ur mind. Things are gonna get better in time only. Ok.. 150$ bottles of med ... whatever reinfestation is certin.. ok spider relative. Hum. I need to treat beds and furnatur w pets outside w spider spray. And then I need to shut the door. Clear ur mind again cuz ur battleing a little parasitic jerk. Containment is goal. These guys die. In trashbags. Id dont do time lines of three days . What ever.. are we for sure. No so like I said squirt or two of spider spray.. tie up. Contain.. separat.. new wash n dry .. hang up fresh clothes. In spider treated room after it airs out. Get what im saying.. and  feel its a process.. a long one hellatious process if u dont follow my learned routeen. Cuz I delt w em for yrs and yrs.. if its so bad .. trash ur stuff.. buy new stuff in small amounts but if its summer time and hot put ur trash bags in the garage. Always keep seperated.. and every few days when u have time spot treat spot wash and hang up in clean rooom. If u have animals . Get larva stage frontline or something for them. No cross contaminate. Use DE And just run in circles w this till months pass and its getting better or have em for 4yrs.. just time and treatments and vaccume and spider spray and no where did I say spray spider spray on you or ur children so dont be rash... woops. Rash .. try salt bath .. couldent hurt. God bless and all best wishes and best concerns and best of health.. 

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to posterchild

• posterchild »Guest

And remember its a several attempt in multi areas .. bags .. alcohol. Wash . Vaccume. Spray for spiders.. just a body treatment will never suffice. U have to controll everthing now. Cuz bugs are bugs. Thay dont care what u think.. got me. Dont mix old and new.. clean w dirty .. wont rid em ever. 

• posterchild »Guest

And each adult should have a spray of alcohol for them selfs. And my amonia idea is for my second bottle for floors till I can vac or mop or steam clean. But never confine u or others or animals in toxic smelling rooms. And hopefully it is an easier battle w this info .. 

• France07 »Guest

Dear Guest,

I would be greatly appreciated if you would tell me how much salt you put in the bath. Thank you,

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to France07

Back to top Next
k

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

k

Already approved

You can't report this, it's aleady been approved by a moderator.

k

Share this

Discussion Forums' Terms & Conditions