in this discussion +1 following Follow this discussion

How long does it take for antibiotics to work for kidney inf

Just been prescribed ciprofloxacin for kidney infection wondering how long it take to work, was told 48 hours by GP but still feel really ill after 4 days. Never had this before so not sure how long it will last.

F Report Share
Support this with a vote _ 0

4 Replies

sad I was diagnosed 3 days ago with a kidney infection and have been put on an antibiotic called Amoxicillin, I have nver felt so ill! I have called NHS direct tonight and they advised that it takes 48 hours for the antibiotics to kick in. The pain in my back is unreal so i went to visit my doctor again today who prescribed me with Tramadol - strong painkiller which doesnt seem to be workin either!

Hope you feel better soon!

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to Guest

I just went to the Emergency room last night in so much pain. I was on your same antibiotic for 3 days and it had not helped one bit yet. They retested my urine and it was still heavely infected. They had to put me on IV antibiotics. I'm hoping it clears it up! I still feel awful. Heading back to the ER for my second round of IV antibiotics in an hour. Hopefully it works sooooooon!!

Hi... A lot depends on what the infection is... I had acute Pyelonephritis and the pain was completely off the scale... To be honest, I've never known any Antibiotic work in 2 or 3 days... perhaps a little relief is possible in that time... I was having a constant antibiotic IV drip in hospital for 3 days and then follow on antibiotics for a fortnight after. Bladder and urinary tract problems are... as you well know... dreadfully painful... I hope they gave you some morphine or something similar to ease the agony...I want to suggest that you remember the pain you are suffering and when you get well again start looking at precautionary measures to prevent a recurrence... unfortunately, if you are succeptible to these infections (like I am) there's a good chance it will happen again...Cranberry... juice or capsule, it doesn't matter...capsule is cheaper... afterwards do a little research on D-Mannose... this isn't mainstream medicine, but I know a lot of people who it has helped...

k

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

k

Already approved

You can't report this, it's aleady been approved by a moderator.

k

Share this

Discussion Forums' Terms & Conditions

The Patient.co.uk annual survey

Help us make Patient.co.uk better by answering our survey

No, thanksTake part!