in this discussion +71 following Follow this discussion

Esmya Tablets Fibroid Treatment

Hello I'm 44 and have recently been diagnosed with a 11cm Fibroid, my Gyno has put me on Esmya to try and shrink the fibroid, I just wondered if any one could me advice or their review as its fairly new treatment and can't find anyone who has tried it.

Thank you

F Report Share
Support this with a vote _ 2

423 Replies

Next
  • katherine20

Hi Sunshine girl, I am not sure if it was breakthrough bleeding or my period a week early. Hoping it stops my period. If it was my period it was a breeze of one day. Hope you get on with your tablets I should start my

Second packet this weekend.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to katherine20

• Lamypie

Hi Sunshine girl, yes pre-opp i guess.

As I was hoping not to to have surgery at all.... I was just Over optimistic on what the drug would do in terms of size reductions of fibriods.

Also my periods have stopped completely, throughout the duration of the medications

Is there anybody out their who having the fibroids removed so they have a better chance of getting pregnant?

Also what type of surgery are you going for? Myomectomy or Uterine Artery Embolization

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to Lamypie

• sunshinegirl

Hi Lamypie

I am booked in for a hysterectomy on 23rd April. I was told a hysterectomy or embolisation were really my only options. I really was unsure was to do (still am to a certain extent) My biggest fibroid is 9cm and I have several smaller ones. I could nt find out too much about embolisation. I am 44 and have a son who is 23 so for me it's not about having more children. Still very scary. When I was first told I had a fibroid, this was 5 years ago, I had the option of a mirena coil or surgery as a day procedure. Because I really wasn't suffering too much apart from heavy periods (I could deal with that) I chose to do nothing. Unfortunately I wasn't told they could grow (sometimes they don't). So here I am! Do you know your options? I picked up my esmya medication yesterday. Does it matter which day during a period it is taken? If I take it on the first day will that period be lighter? I usually take tranexamic acid but won't be able to with esmya.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to sunshinegirl

• Lamypie

Hi Sunshine girl...

The website I found was this for embolisation was this www.femisa.org.uk/index.php/treatment-options/embolisation.

Well I have been given the option of myomectomy or embolisation due my age/wanting to get pregnant... And can't decide as complications with both? I just like the sound of embolisation as less invasive and will mean I am off work for less. Yes I feel your pain in terms of making a decision as i can't decide at all!! And I sure even if I do decide i will still be second guessing my decision!

I took ESMYA on the first day of my period, it didnt make my period light in the first instance however stop my period the next month.

• tina40

I'm almost at the end of the 3 month course, have already had several fibroids removed over the years and doc suggested this would shrink an 11cm one and stop bleeding and pain - which it has done (pain and bleeding not sure about shrinking till scan next week)! Haven't had any bleeding at all for 3 months and have had virtually no pain, I have gained some weight, and have felt overwhelmingly tired - but I would rather that than the constant bleeding and pain -,my question is what happens after the 3 months ?? Is it like a tidal wave ??!! Or is it back to business as usual ??

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to tina40

• lyn3

Hi tina40

I stopped taking Esmya over a week ago and nothing yet - am expecting a return within two to four weeks - will let you know how it goes. I am hoping to be one of those who opt not to have an operation. Let's see - I have a doctor's appointment on the 19th.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to lyn3

• lyn3

Hi tina40

I stopped taking Esmya over a week ago and nothing yet - am expecting a return within two to four weeks - will let you know how it goes. I am hoping to be one of those who opt not to have an operation. Let's see - I have a doctor's appointment on the 19th.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to lyn3

• Cookiesson

Hej everyone.

I just found this page.

I am 36 years old and I also have fibroids (in Swedish we call them Myoms) in my uterus.

I haven’t had any kids yet but really want to…

I have a bunch of fibroids and 2 big ones, around 6-10 cm. And the biggest one seems to be just as a part of the back wall of the uterus, not sticking out in any way.

They tell me to get an operation, a regular or an embolization.

I just don’t know what to do, and who to listen to. The embolization technique seems potentially safer than surgery as it is much less invasive and there is less risk of infection and other side effects.

But they also tell me to take injections. So that is why I'm interested in these Esmya pills, or any medication for that matter, if one could eat them without ANY type of surgery, that would just be a dream.

Is there anyone that have any information about NOT having to have an operation made, but to still be able to have children??

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to Cookiesson

• sue32810 »Cookiesson

Hello dear,

I am 51 and took Esmya last year september for 3 months. My menstration has stopped completely. My fibroids has deminished somewhat, but  as they/it were huge it is still there, but smaller. I got so little info actually. One thing I do know for sure, if you take Esmya, you will stop menstrating and go in to menopauze. My other option was having my uterus removed and I prefered Esmya, as at my age I don't need another child. Good luck. Right now about 7 months later I have these painful cramps, like when I use to have my menstration. I have to go back to my OBGYNO

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to sue32810

• Lamypie

cookiesson, there have been people who had babies with fibroids... So there is an option not to operate!

However it really depends on the where the positioning of the fibroids... according to my dr i have one that is fairly big as it was 7 before Esmya but now reduce to 6cm. As I have been trying to getting pregnant he said it could have prevented the embryo attaching in my uterus!

Plus if you do get pregnant there is a chance it will grow, causing less room for baby which means premature baby or miscarriages..

So the dr said he will discuss my case to see which Is the better option, and has decided surgery would be better for me due to less evidence around embolisation, plus uncertainty around whether it will damage your fertility?

Before actually going through surgery he wants to rule out other reason why I have not been able to get pregnant? Is it due the sperm? Is my tubes actually open? And whether I am actually ovulating? So we are doing all these test first before I say yes to surgery!

So maybe this is worth you doing this to?

Lamypie

• Cookiesson

Hello Lamypie.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these Esmya.

I’ve done 2 smaller operations before, removing 4 smaller fibroids.

But the ones I have now, will be difficult to remove without damaging the walls… sad

So that is why I’m considering embolization…

But…

I was hoping that the fibroids would shrink more than 1 cm… cause mine is already around 9 cm…

And I know about the difficulties surrounding the embryos not to get attached to the wall and the miscarriages…

But I can’t really try how it would work on me… cause I don’t have anyone to try and get pregnant with… so I’m trying to prolong the time I have. I don’t want to do a regular operation cause then the fibroids will come back… and since I can’t try to get pregnant now…

Well… I need more time… so I was hoping for a miracle pill that would reduce the fibroids and buy me more time…

But… sad

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to Cookiesson

• anni27

Hi Ladies, I started esmya two weeks ago to reduce my fibroids. I have a 12 week fibroid uterus and previously had novasure which did not work. Has anyone got a mirena and taking esmya?

The only side effects I am having is terrible back ache (more so at night) and a little acne.

I have been trying to avoid a hysterectomy but getting to the stage where I think maybe just get it over and done with!

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to anni27

• sunshinegirl

Hi anni

I was prescribed esmya - but after reading the side effects I didn't take them. I am booked in for a hysterectomy on 23rd April - if I had taken the esmya it would have only been for 6 weeks - so not sure if that would have made any difference to size. I havea 9cm fibroid and a few smaller ones and was told either embolisation or hysterectomy were now my options. Do you have any symptoms with your fibroid? I have heavy periods, well maybe 2 days heavy out of 5 and sometimes sex is uncomfortable, sometimes I pee more frequently but that is pretty much it, but I know my fibroid has grown as I can now feel like a hard lump. The consultant was surprised I didn't have more symptoms. I figure this thing is not going to get smaller - it has grown in the 5 years since I was first diagnosed with fibroids - had I known they may grow , I would have done something about them then`which would have been far less invasive. I am so dreading hysterectomy (I am the biggest wimp) - but truthfully I think it's probably for the best.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to sunshinegirl

• katherine20

I am now taking my second packet of Esmya. I thought it would stop my periods completely but I am still

Getting them although much lighter. Did anyone else have this or did your periods stop. Pain has much improved hardly anything.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to katherine20

• anni27

Hi sunshine girl,

I have been given a 3 month course of esmya. Last year I had a mirena inserted which took around 6 months to settle but has eventually sorted out my heavy periods, I was only getting a bit of spotting (which can be annoying!). A week after I started the esmya the spotting stopped.

The only symptoms I am having with the fibroids now is having to pee often and back ache.

My consultant feels esmya will definately work as he has had good results so far.

I have been scouring the web for more forums or info on esmya but there is very little out there.

• deanne2

Hi everyone!

I have just started my first packet of Esmya tablets - no side effect yet but early days! Although I work for the NHS I have opted to go the private route for treament. I saw an NHS gynaecologist a few months ago and she did not appear to be confident that any surgery ie myomectomy would not end up being converted to a hysterectomy whilst I was on the operating table. Although I have completed my family I wanted to avoid a hysterectomy if at all possible because of the long term effects. I would urge anyone to think carefully before undergoing a hysterectomy, make sure you are aware of the possible effects 10 years or so down the line - the risk of incontinence and prolapse is quite high.

I am hoping that these tablets will shrink the fibroid enough to enable me to have laporoscopic removal - fingers crossed!

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to deanne2

• michal

Hi ladies, a bit of updated report here. I'm almost near the end of 3month treatment. (Took me a while to get my order online, defitely a saving compared to ordering my neighbourhood Boots but still expensive as i was on private prescription).

So far, no side effect, except I do feel a bit more tired than before. Not sure if it's due to med or just this horrible weather... My period (which was heavy and looong) and discharges (heavy and waterly, almost had to wear light pads) are both gone completely since I started Esmya so I'm happy about it.

I don't feel my tummy had gone flatter, on the other hand. I can't remember the size but allegedly it's equivalent to being in 6month pregnant so it is sizeable. A bit shame as I was counting on "slimming down in the middle".

I'm due to see my consultant after the Easter break, to discuss treatment options. I'm also dreading hysterecotomy because of recovery period, I've started reading up a bit on embolisation.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to michal

• anni27

Hello All,

I have just finished my first pack of Esmaya and not really noticing any change. I keep looking down at my tummy and willing it to look flatter alas my clothes tell another story!!

I still feel and look pregnant!

I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has taken the esmya and managed to avoid a hysterectomy?

• tina40

I finished my course 2 weeks ago, and have had a scan this week - my 11cm fibroid has shrunk to 5cm - so that is a good result, feeling a bit odd at the end of the treatment though - very bloated (like first day period) but bleeding not returned at all. Will wait and see, but consultant seems pleased with result, he now wants to see what happens after 4 or 5 months - and will decide what to do next then (fibroid removal or hysterectomy or leave me be !!) anyone else finished and had results ?

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to tina40

• deanne2

Wow Tina that is a great result! Do you know what kind of fibroid you have? Mine is pedunculated and apparently the results aren't always as good with this type as with other types of fibroid but I am living in hope that mine will respond.

How long do people think it takes before you notice any changes. I too am willing my stomach to flatten!

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to deanne2

Back to top Next
k

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

k

Already approved

You can't report this, it's aleady been approved by a moderator.

k

Share this

Forums Terms & Conditions | Help & Frequently Asked Questions