in this discussion +6 following Follow this discussion

Acid reflux getting worse

Hi everyone

Last year I was diagnosed with disfunctional dyspepsia and the year before that I was told I had IBS although tablets I was given for the IBS didn't really improve much so I stopped taking them. The problem is this, my acid reflux and gut problems are getting worse and are affecting my psychologically.

Originally for the acid I was prescribed 30mg of Lansoprozole once a day and although it did improve my symptoms I didn't feel 100%. I had an endoscopy and the doctor said everything looked normal (his suggestion was to ignore the symptoms!?!?) and so I remained on the Lansoprozole and after a few months they lowered my dosage to 15mg a day, to take another if I felt I needed to. So I try to keep to 15mg a day but this doesn't really work.

Today I didn't take one first thing like I usually do as I stayed away last night and this afternoon I've felt terrible. My insides from the stomach down just burn its like they're on fire!

I'm stuck as to what to do now. I'm only 22 and feel like my life is just being ruined by this stupid 'disease'. I can't eat the foods I like, drinking alcohol is a no go and now even non-suspect foods set me off. I'm fed up of feeling ill constantly and now get in such a flap about it all. Sometimes I panic and my throat just seems to close up.

Is it worth going back to the doctor? I just get the impression they'd rather just throw some drugs in your face rather than get to the bottom of things. But feeling ill is getting me down and I'm turning into a hypochondriac!

Does anyone know what to suggest or also have these symptoms? Sorry for the essay! Thanks for any help

F Report Share
Support this with a vote _ 1

36 Replies

• Helen40

Hi have you been tested for helicobacter pylori , did they do a biopsy when you had your endoscopy , to test for this ,you may have this bacterial infection of the stomach lining ,ask your gp for the test , you need to be off certain drugs for the stool test , but this is a reliable method of confirmation , if you are positive ,you can have a triple therapy of antibiotics to clear the infection , it's worth checking out ,It may be the answer

Hope this helps good luck Helen

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to Helen40

• osborne

I was 2007 when had endoscopy, 11 months later had results was diagnosed coeliac. Failed colonoscopy july last year. after that I requested protem pump meds end july. No other tests. Think actually dont think know gp hasnt realised how bad I have been ...not bothered much now as rabeprazole 20mgs have helped Saw hospital dr 17th last month apparently his letter of advice has arrived and presc., awaiting my pick up at surgery hospital said no tests required. So no use me asking. I am mid seventies and pretty toughfor my age. May be doctors think i am a winging old dear. Dont go see gp unless necessary, a lot is put on computer whilst i am there but little or nothing said to me. ( laughable) NEXT TIME this happens I am definately going to ASK what he is putting down. Vit b12 due in June so dont expect to bother gp till then (nurse dosnt give inj) Was really poorly re burning sensation etc about 15mths until I realised their treatment was no good and myself asked for rabeprazole as I was desperate. I had to pester the dietition for me to get help via (so called gastologist) he just asked how many motion I had (one ) daily then no advice put me on waiting list for colonoscopy. seven mths wait. Said enough now. But you must remember it seems like to some I am an old dear, so they can say anything suitable to my age. THANKS helen40 for your reply. If I ask I will be put down as neurotic.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to osborne

• osborne

At last have cholesterol results 6.4 and copy of liver test which dont understand. Also gave increased meds to twice day, Rabeprazole 20mg for 3 mths. BUT said letter from hospital not arrived yet. strange as how did they know to increase meds. .I didnt query it as dont want friction.

• osborne

Hi justfixme, Just wondering how you are managing. Hope you are making headway. I had to laugh when the doctor suggested you ignore the symptoms. This as you are aware is imposible and really gets to you. At times I was pacing up and down the lounge as it was so bad. Better for me as lots older than you, must be really awful at your age when doctors dont seem to understand or help enough. I eventually went onto soya milk which has eased things so far also lactose free. Not troubled with the terrible burning at moment. Its hard to get doctors to understand just how uncomfortable it is, as if you look alright to them it cant be so bad. Anyway would like to know just how your treatment is progressing, for the better I hope. Keep strong.

• osborne

Hi lumpy, Thanks for info. Had omeprazole 10 yrs ago and was switch to Rabeprazole which only needed few weeks (prior coeliac) Heaps better than I was, so just carrying on now and hope if lucky it clears up. Seem to be on right track now. Found out lots have similar troubles which makes it easier for me to understand.

• Helen40

Hi folks it is a while since I posted a reply , I am just about cured from my helicobacter and gastritis , I couldnt take omeprazole this made me really worse, I have got myself better through diet , homeopathic remedies , aloe Vera juice , fruit , veg , I advocate anyone to try these ,and try and ditch some of the meds you may be taking ,you can do it , try the joe de livera website , abc homeopathy website , for advice on what to take for gastiritsi , nat phos is what I am taking , it's hard , don't get me wrong , but there are natural ways to heal your body , try slippery elm , reiki , chakra balancing ,meditation , walking , live yogurts , Prebiotics , probiotics et ,, I am an holistic therapist so , I am a bit anti western meds , but I did take the triple therapy to kill the helicobacter , have faith guys , you can get there , I am now enjoying the odd latte , cream bun etc etc , the body has a amazing capacity to heal itself , Give it time ,mbe good to yourself , your body is a temple

• osborne

Hi Helen, Gave up meds and continued soya then lactose free, did take apple cider vinigare few times. Making good progress, even had some free from Tesco ready meals. Take half packet Movicol when required. Very little discomfort now mainly non at all its fantastic. On hindsight cannot understand why Dietition, gp, gastro clinic didnt suggest to try lactose free and dairy free. Its taken others to guide me. Also have started multi vit tablets, so all seems to be going ok at last, after over 18 plus months of hell.

• Helen40

Great to hear you are aking some progress , try the homepathic meds too , dont eat mints though if you try this option as it cancels out the remedy , try new era tissue salts Nat phos , or combination e tissue salts , holland and barrett

• Helen40

Hi osbourne, you should find what you want at h and b , yes all this signing in and out of different sites with different passwords , tell me about it , oh dear , many senior moments there

Best wishes

• osborne

Hi Just Fix Me. Have you made any progress, I do hope so as this is a very troublesome condition and nothing seems to help. Gps give meds that help very little at times. At last I seem to be winning by taking advice from non medical people Unfortunately drs appear to have been relying on medication and a failed colostomy. took others to advice on Lactose Free which has lead to big improvement. Gastroenterology can forget about littletablets to help me cope (which I turned down)Never though Lactose could cause big problems, its unbelievable the improvement. Early days. Take care.

• osborne

Helen 40, Hi seem to have lactose in the tabs you mentioned at hollan and barrats. A lot of the time am ok on lactose free. now ad again get buring sensation in abd., and little on tongue and mouth, but much improved minus meds. Apples trigger me which seems odd.Wonder how others managing.

• Helen40

Hi Osbourne , sorry tabs have lactose in them , you could try googling for further info on similar tabs as there may be lacose free available , have you tried slippery elm , try the powder to mix into a drink or porridge , i m much better on oat type cereals, bowels and tum much improved , have had some sucess with colpermin also , though i know this does not suit everyone , but helped emormously with tummy pain /acid etc , i only take one when i need to , if i have problems after eating , i take one and usually get quick releifwith any symptoms Pleased you are making some progress though , it will be a slow job , and no two days are the same are they , are you managing regulare exercize ? , how are you sleeping ? , and has meditation or a guided relaxation been tried There is an excellent book i can recommend breathing free , try ebay or amazon , very interesting and may be valuable , as many of us do not breathe properley , and further pain exaccerbated by poor circulation and incorrect breathing

Looking forward to hearing from you

Best wishes Helen

• osborne

Hi, Heaps improved on soya and Lactose free. Do get a little burning sensation in abdomen. At times just a little in mouth only. Not really concerned after previous pain. Dared to request lactose free test. wow that sure brought a bad reaction. Ah well. Just needed to say not needed. Never had advice at all just tabs, mint, mebeverine etc.,but no advice. Not required now as got the picture. Early days . Get plenty exercise Better away to bed as up early. .

• ammymickens

Strangely enough, having too little stomach acid can cause heartburn and acid reflux. If you suffer from having too little stomach acid, drinking apple cider vinegar can make up for the lack of acid. This natural acid reflux treatment should be considered by people over the age of 40 when too little stomach acid production can begin to become a problem. Studies have shown that up to 50% of people over the age of 40 may suffer from too little stomach acid.

_ 0 votes F Report Share < reply to ammymickens

k

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

k

Already approved

You can't report this, it's aleady been approved by a moderator.

k

Share this

Discussion Forums' Terms & Conditions