UK sources of information and / or support
An independent, self-help organisation run by people with IBS.
Highly informative web site from the London-based charity based at the Central Middlesex Hospital, London. Includes information about Irritable Bowel Syndrome, its variants and symptoms, and information about diet, stress and other factors, and recent medicinal advances. Includes details of a book 'Understanding Your Irritable Bowel (New Revised Edition)' by Dr. David Silk, director of IBS Research at the Central Middlesex Hospital.
A patient guide to complement the NICE guideline of the same name for health professionals.
Factsheet from Core.
Medicine Guides provide reliable information about medicines, conditions and the different treatment options available. They have been developed in the UK as part of the Medicines Information Project.
Information from NHS Choices - the government's patient information portal.
Information from BUPA.
Further sources / more detailed information
Some non-UK sites
The following list popular non-UK health information sites with content aimed at the general public. They are mainly from the US. They have not been checked to see if information about the above topic is included but these large sites are comprehensive.
More detailed medical information
The following list online sources of more detailed medical information, mainly from the UK. These sites are mainly aimed at health professionals, but are of interest to all. They have not been checked to see if information about the above topic is included, but information about most medical topics can usually be found.
- PatientPlus - hundreds of medical reference articles provided by Patient UK.
- Evidence Based Medicine - such as from Clinical Evidence, The Cochrane Library, etc.
- Database of UK Clinical Guidelines - from NICE, SIGN, etc.
- Medline - abstracts available from thousands of journals.
- Sites listing free online medical textbooks and journals.
- Sites listing free medical images - pictures, atlases, anatomy, skin diseases, etc.