Advert types / what we accept
We have set out a series of positions where we normally place adverts. In general, we surround the top, right and bottom of our content with advertising space. We do not allow advertising within authored clinical content. The exceptions are links to in-house sales of pharmacy products, appliances, books and services.
Patient.co.uk maintains a distinct separation between advertisements and clinical content as a hallmark of independence. All adverts are labelled as "Advertisement" by Patient.co.uk.
Patient.co.uk is a site that is used by all to promote health, to help those who are ill to understand about their illness and to help reduce anxiety about illness.
Many people who use this site are ill, bereaved, elderly etc. Doctors regularly recommend this site to their ill patients and to carers of patients.
All advertisements need to be totally 'family friendly' and inoffensive. Apart from the usual understanding of 'ethical' (ie non-sexist, non-racist, non-defamatory etc) Patient.co.uk does not accept ads that:
- Are in conflict with mainstream health promotion for example ads for alcohol, cigarettes etc
- Promote cures that most doctors would not be happy about
- Are for gambling - which includes lotteries, bingos, online poker, etc
- Are pornographic, use sexual images, or sexual innuendo
- Advertise weapons, firearms, ammunition or fireworks
- Are for dating
Patient.co.uk's acceptance of an advertisement cannot be considered an endorsement of the products/services and the company cannot be held responsible in any way.